So last week I was having this stress meltdown trying to figure out how to logistically do everything and be everywhere that my new fall schedule was handing me. Between PTA board, helping with reading in Kyra's class, Stake Primary training, getting Adrie to preschool, Bree to therapists, Bree to her new play and learn class, Kyra's dance class, Adrie's dance class, trying to fit excercise in(unfortunately that one has not been happening for the last month), laundry, homework, housework, etc. I was losing my mind and I just kept thinking...and I want
more kids to add to this crazyiness? How do you do it? How do you be everywhere for everyone? How do you make everyone feel loved and important and special?How do you decide what to cut? How do you cut something for one child and not another...I was also overwhelmed with trying to decide if I should try and fit this play and learn class in for Bree twice a week becasue it will just complicate the schedule. I had decided to not do the class (it is offered through her early intervention program and is like a preschool type setting) and was feeling less stressed and then I went to meet with this speech therapist and she said I should
absolutely do the class. She said it would help Bree's speech more than any one on one could. One of Bree's other therapists also strongly recommended the class and said she thought Bree would be WAY further ahead when she goes to the community preschool in Feb. because it is not a special needs preschool and she thought the class would help Bree be better prepared for it. So then it hit me....this is just the beginning of these kinds of decisions for Bree. I know this is not a life changing class or anything but it just got me thinking and I don't know that I am ready to be thinking about this stuff. I just want her to stay a baby so I can protect her at home and not have to make hard decisions about what she needs or doesn't need in the real world. If this class is going to make a difference for her development than I want her to do it, even if things are a little crazier because of it, but how do I decide these things and if I don't do it will that be a delay for her? I have been reading my blogging friend
Heather's blog lately ( who is amazing by the way-she totally inspires me) with all her decisions about her little Morgan who has DS and is in 1st grade and all the struggles that come with deciding what to do for her schooling and I know we have so many of these big decisions to make in the future and I just started to be so overwhelmed with it all. How are we supposed to know what is best for our children each step of the way? How do we best help them achieve their full potential? So as I was feeling overwhelmed about it all, I remembered a plaque my sister gave me when Bree was born "
The great thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time". There was my answer! I remember what a comfort that was then and what a comfort it is now. It's
ok...I need to just take one step at a time, one day at a time, and celebrate the daily accomplishments and the everyday miracles. Yes we will have lots more of these decisions to make but for now I don't have to stress about it all because for now I am just going to enjoy what she is achieving today.....

Bree is suddenly putting a few words together! Her first two word phrase was "bru tee" for brush teeth... she LOVES to climb up on her stool and say it while doing the sign for brush teeth. It is really cute and we are so excited to hear her saying some more words..and phrases.
She also started saying "Der it is" and "did it" and some random other ones here and there. She doesn't say them clear but you can tell what she is trying to say and we are so happy to hear more words coming! I don't know if it is coincidence or if the ear tubes are already helping but since last week she has been saying a lot more. Whatever it is we are so thankful to hear more words coming!

The saying on that plaque also made me stop and take a breath with regards to all the things I have going on right now and realize I need to take one day, and one thing at a time instead of stressing about it all. So that is my goal.....One day at a time.

Random side note:
So Kyra and Halle have quite a bit of the same wardrobe and Julie and I often comment that we are surprised they don't end up wearing them too often on the same days but last week they showed up for the bus stop in these cute coordinating outfits, without planning it, and they thought it was SO fun to all be matching. Then they wanted to plan their outfits more often with eachother. Adrie LOVES Kyra and wants to be like her and every morning when they get dressed Adrie wants to match Kyra-if she doesn't have the same thing then she wants the same color. I will have to enjoy it while I can because I know the day will come when they dont want to be matching!
9 comments:
Ahhhhh. . . you are too sweet to include me in your post! :) I don't think the decisions get any easier and it honestly is the biggest thing I hate about Down syndrome. I don't want to be the one that has to call all the shots for my daughter and hope my decision is the right one.
My sis-in-law shared this great story that Elder Holland gave about receiving answers to prayers that helped me in my decision with Morgan and mainstreaming her. If I find out that my decision was not the right choice for her does not necessarily mean I didn't get an answer to my prayer. I would have never known if it was the right decision without first trying it and if I would have just chosen the cluster class I would have always wondered if I made the right decision.
I agree that I think the preschool class will do wonders for Bree. But if it is too much or you don't think she is enjoying it than you can always have her stop the class then. Morgan loved those classes (she didn't enjoy the 3 year old preschool as much, though).
We really need to meet IRL one day soon!
Thanks for a great post, and thanks for helping others realize that whether your kid has down syndrome or not, you are still the one making decisions for your children, and they are going to affect their life.
Katya really liked her Play and Learn class. We thought it was good for her. She did develop her speech, but she is still pretty far away from words, but not for a lack of effort.
Nobody told us that play and learn would help her speech, but someone said that it would help Bree's, and that is important. When we don't know what to do, it sure helps to listen to the experts in our lives that can at least point us in the right direction.
And in the end, as much as we want to be perfect parents, and better than our parents, it just isn't going to happen. We are going to make mistakes, and we have to live with that. We shouldn't be reckless, but we shouldn't be so afraid of making a mistake that we don't make a decision. That is the real tragedy in situations like this.
So, I think your advice to take it one day at a time is really good. I would hope that we all can do that.
I think you summed up what every mother feels whether they have a child with DS or not. I have three boys and our schedule is just as busy as yours and some days are just beyond crazy. It is hard making decisions on the activities they do because we want the best for them and you can't get the past back. My advise is if you are going to cut anything I would cut the PTA because once Bree is in school then you will have plenty of time to help there. We don't have to be supermoms. The house doesn't always have to look like a photo op for Better Homes and Gardens. One thing I do is try to get all my food prep done in the before lunch that way my children still get a healthy meal every night despite our schedule. I also do laundry everday, so that it doesn't get over whelming I would also try to involve the girls in helping you around the house. I am finding that it is really teaching my boys to be a little less messy when they know that they have to help clean.
Great post, Kec. It is so hard to know what to do, what not to do, how to survive and get through each day, etc. Sometimes I just don't want to be the one to make all the decisions that will make a major impact on my kids lives! It's kind of scary. I'm sure it must be even harder to make those kind of big choices for Bree. She looks so old in those pictures brushing her teeth! I can't believe it! So cute. And, how great to hear that she's putting words together - definitely makes you wonder if the surgery is really helping so fast!! How neat.
Life is so busy but I think we still need to do a girls get together to decompress soon!! I need it for sure. Love ya!
I'm really glad that we have a lot of these things to stress about together. It makes my life a lot easier. As for Bree, I know you'll make the best decisions for her. You already have! I LOVE that quote about the future. How appropriate! The picture of Bree brushing her teeth is so cute. She looks so grown up. Oh and I LOVE the one of the girls, I'm so glad you got a picture of them that day. They are such cute friends.
Life can definently be overwhelming, but you are doing awesome! I look at you all the time and think how amazing you are. And not just because of Bree. You are always there for your girls! You are also such a great friend and help to so many people. But I love the quote from your sister. I think that we could all do to remember that a little more often. You will make the right choices for Bree and for your other girls too. Everyone always says not to lose yourself when life gets busy. But being a mom is what we are. So when you take time to be a great mom, you aren't losing yourself, you are being a better you.
Kecia,
Every time I look at your blog, I am amazed at all that you are able to do. You are such a cute mom and do such fun things for your girls. Life can be so overwhelming at times because we all want the very best for our kids. Bree is SO cute and is so lucky to have such a great family as I am sure you feel so lucky to have her too. Crazy how much our kids teach us, huh? Elle goes to the same school as Morgan and always talks about how she sees her at school and says hi to her and invites her to play. Morgan is a sweet little girl. We really need to get together soon...
Kecia you are an amazing mom! I can only hope to be half the mom you are. Thanks for your amazing example. P.S. Bree looks so grown up! I can't believe it.
Kecia- You are so cute! I love looking at your blog because you always are so put together and fun! You are an amazing mom! I enjoy seeing all the pictures that show how much you love your kids! I get overwhelmed at times too with the busy schedule of life- so I really enjoyed the quote too- thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment