One mother, refers to her daughter, Lily as her "Ladder to Heaven". She says "she will get me there. She will teach me all the things that I need to know to return to my Father in Heaven. I believe this to be true for every parent that has a child with a disability. I can't explain the "pure joy" (words I've used to describe Lily forever!) that these children give to the world. Lily has made me love better, care better, do better."
I know I feel the same way about Bree. She makes me want to be better, to treat others better, she makes me aware of the blessings around us every day in the simple things of life, and I know she has a direct path back to our Father in Heaven which means I have to work a lot harder to make sure I will be right there with her.
As Bree gets older, there are new joys and also new fears and challenges too. A few months ago when I was having a moment of frustration with things, I came across these wonderful words of encouragement taken from a church book.
"Blessings promised to mothers of children with disabilities.
I speak a word to mothers who have little children who are handicapped, children whose little bodies were born incompletely formed or whose little minds are limited. No one knows the depth of agony that you have suffered. By way of consolation, I read from scripture:
Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation. For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory;the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand. Blessings will be extended to mothers such as you who have given tender and affectionate love to handicapped children. Trials such as these bring a reverence for life, a new depth of compassion and motherhood."
This brought peace to me that day and maybe it will do the same for someone else.
In the last few weeks, I have attended two funerals of infant babies. Both babies only lived for a few hours and both families had known about the complications, and the outcome, before the babies were born. As I thought about what these families were going through I thought about how easily this could have been our situation with Bree, with all the health problems that can come with Down syndrome and it reaffirmed to me what a blessing she is in our life.
I realized the other day, that a year ago Bree wasn't even walking yet and now she can't be stopped. She is walking, somewhat running, eating better on her own, attending to activities longer, using words, problem solving, and much more. She started her "pre-preschool" class at the early intervention site and she is doing GREAT! She looks SO old all ready to go to her class!
The second day of class she was very eager to open the door and get back in there.
9 comments:
What a perfect post, Kec. I love all the little nuggets of good stuff you have in there. What a blessing cute Bree is - to everyone!! I'm sure some days are so challenging/frustrating, but in the end will bo SO worth it! Love you!
What a great post! Where is that quote about mothers of children with disabilities from? I love it! I have been feeling frustrated lately and that is just what I needed to read. I never knew that about the bumblebee either.
Bree looks SO adorable in all those pictures! How fun that she is in preschool. We should get together soon!
Love it all!
What a beautiful post. It made me cry. You help us feel more, and appreciate more, the children that surround us. Love you guys!
Beautifully written, Kecia! I am sitting here in tears. Thank you for sharing this and uplifting me and everyone who reads it. Bree is amazing and so are you, Kris, Kyra, and Adrie. What a lucky girl to be part of your sweet family. :)
Loved that.
Thanks for putting your thoughts down in writing Kecia. It brought me to tears.
You always find the most inspirational things to post! I love your posts about Bree. We are all so lucky to have her in our lives. She is such a sweet, happy little girl.
This was really cute! We love our breezy. The last part almost made me cry. I have heard that too, and I think it is so true about bree.
Post a Comment