Mia's Homecoming video

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

To signify  the 3 copies of the 21 chromosome....World Down Syndrome day is today 3/21.

I have really LOVED getting to know so many people in this down syndrome world through blogs and facebook! I spend way too much time laughing and crying with these other families as I follow their similar journeys! I hope that through this community we can spread awareness of down syndrome and help people understand that people with down syndrome are more alike than different! They bring happiness, joy and above all, more LOVE than you could ever imagine...a pure and unconditional love!


When I was pregnant with Bree we did not know for sure that she had DS but there was a suspicion because of some white spots on her stomach and heart at her ultra sound. After meeting with a specialist she seemed to lead us to believe that it most likely was going to turn out to be nothing...so we kind of put it behind us and moved on through the pregnancy. People often ask if I would rather have known before Bree was born that she had DS, and for me I think I did better not knowing until she was born, because when she was born, I had her to LOVE me through all the emotions. Her smile, her fingers to grasp mine, her calm personality, all of them got me through the raw emotions of what was happening. Looking at her beautiful almond shape eyes and seeing her precious smile, I KNEW everything was going to be OK!

I LOVE this quote posted on Living Life with E's from another blog "Our Unexpected Journey" a comment from one of her readers just days before her son Bennett was born in response to the "What If's" surrounding DS... and I don't think I could put into words what today is about for me any better than this...





"What if you fall madly deeply hopelessly in love with your new baby?"


"What if he is the most amazing human being you will ever know?"



"What if he makes you a better person?"


"What if he makes your other children grow to be better people than they would have been without him in their lives?"



"What if you fall in love with your husband all over again for the way he fathers Bennett?"


"These are the things that make me say 'if I knew then what I know now'. I look back on my worries while I was pregnant and wish I hadn't put so much energy into them".(Julie from "10 Squares Three Squiggles" )


On this World Down Syndrome day I am grateful that the world has come along way in how they view people with DS. I am grateful for the many opportunities that are now out there to help my sweet Bree reach her full potential and I hope there continues to be more and more. I hope that more people can accept and love others who may be different from them! 

Because what's not to LOVE about these two?!
We are excited for Bree and her new cousin Lyla to show the world what they can do!

11 comments:

Kacey Bode said...

Awww, that was a very sweet post, love the quote and the pics!!! I'm so excited for you guys, having your new baby niece!!!

By the way, yes Ella's shirt is from Cafe Press!

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!!!

Emily said...

Beautiful post! Love that we've been able to connect through this amazing blog world!

NatRat said...

Great post and she is such a doll. I too am so happy for all the people I have connected with through the blogging and Emily's great play dates!

I am with you, I don't think I would have wanted to know that Bode had DS before he was born...:)

Brooke said...

Beautiful as always, Kec! You are my hero. I have admired your outlook on life and all that you manage to accomplish and the amazing mom you are to beautiful Bree....I learn so much from you! Love you! xoxoxo

Summer said...

Such a great post Kecia! You always write the neatest things! I am so glad that we have been able to connect through this blogging world! I have met the most amazing people that I wouldn't have been able to meet otherwise!

Great quote and pictures! Bree is such a doll and your new niece is adorable too!

Bethany said...

Happy WDSD a day late! Love Bree - she is a doll!

motherofangels said...

I saw your little Bree in the that mormon message! We knew her immediatly! Bree has a few fans amongs my extended family. We all think she is about the cutest thing ever!!!

Woodbury Fam said...

I love that picture of Bree and Lyla. How lucky they are to have each other. And how lucky we all are to have Bree.

Corinne said...

oh i am crying right now. the last picture of bree and her cousin is so sweet. one of my yw in my old ward has ds. i know what you are talking about just by knowing her. they definitely are special! she has made me a better person. your little bree is adorable!

Carrie said...

I found you from facebook--Your girls are beautiful!! And I think it is amazing that Bree has a 1st cousin with Ds...how cool that you guys get to share your journey with a sibling. Nice to "meet" you!

susan said...

I love what you wrote and how you wrote it. What a great quote too. Seeing the pictures of the cousins made me bummed because my husband's brother and his wife was just offered a baby with down syndrome through LDS adoption and they declined. I thought man that would have been so great! And I guess I wondered if in some way our experience could have put any negative light on it. I hope not because we are the luckiest family to have our daughter Charity.