

For 4 years Mia's story has been written for her. A story that told her that she was not worth the love of a family, that she was not capable of learning, or attending any type of school, especially not a school where she would be side by side "typical" children.

But Mia now knows there is much more to her story and this is just the beginning.

Starting school for all of my children is a momentous time. To see them grow and learn and spread their wings and succeed is what it is all about.
But there is an added joy when I watch these two little ones make their way in the world.

Watching them walk into a school setting where they are loved and accepted and treated just as everyone else is something words can't really express.

A mom always worries about their children being included, feeling confident and being treated how they deserve to be treated while they are away at school. We all want that for all of our children, typical or not, but when your child has a "label" that may hinder those opportunities, the joy you feel watching them succeed just as their peers do, is unexplainable.
It's like you want to shout from the rooftops "See world, I told you she could do it!"

"I told you she was more than a label"

and that is exactly what I wanted to do this week as I watched my girls going to school. I know it is only preschool but it gives me hope for the future that they will be ok.
Mia has come so far in just 2 1/2 months and I can only imagine where she will be a year from now.
After going to her IEP and evalutation at the preschool last week, she has been signing and saying "cool"(school) ever since. She was so excited to put her backpack on and go.


She walked right in to the school with Bree by her side
Bree showed her the ropes and the routine of stopping at the fish tank on the way inside


Mia walked right into her classroom and waved goodbye and she was off.
Off to continue writing her new story and show us all how much she has to offer.

She was more interested in checking out her new surroundings than looking at me for a picture.

She quickly made her way to the phones and baby dolls
On the second day she joined in with her peers and as I stood there watching I couldn't help but think how different this is than what she would be doing in Ukraine right now. It still never ceases to amaze me to stop and think about how her world has changed in the last few months and how she is soaking it all up like a little sponge.

The preschool put the girls in seperate classes thinking that they would both excel better on their own and I am already glad they did. Bree loves her school and "her Shelly" (who unfortunately is not Bree's helper this year but Bree still manages to find her and get her hugs in)

and "her therapists" and while we were at the IEP I noticed in Bree's eyes the concern when Mia was getting the attention from "her people" . For 2 years this has been Bree's turf and so I think they will both do better with a little independence. They still go on the same days at the same time, they are just next door to eachother.

3 days into the new year and I am SOO proud of my Annie Bree!

She has grown so much since last year.

She walks right into her class and sits down with the rest of the class and follows directions.

The teacher's have told me how amazing she is doing and I couldn't be prouder.
She is talking like crazy and doing so well! When I picked her up the other day I told her how proud I was of her for doing so well and she just glowed with her big Bree smile. She knew what I was saying and she was happy to be making me proud! A huge moment for me!
She also started dance again this week and does not need Kyra to go with her anymore.

And the teacher said she did WONDERFUL and that she even waited her turn in class, which last year was nearly impossible for her! Go Bree!
School is something we take for granted. The opportunity to learn and grow in such a setting as this is not given to everyone.

A few months ago, Mia was one of those who was not given this opportunity, nor would she ever be given this opportunity, so to watch her have this chance to shine is yet another miracle in her little life.
The other day we received an email from one of the caregivers at Mia's orphanage wanting to know how she was doing and asked for us to send pictures. It brought tears to my eyes to know that Mia had left her impact on these ladies and that they did indeed care about her, even though their society did not. These two girls both have amazing stories to be told
They are capable and smart and they are meant for great things
Although it is not always easy, and things get crazy and hard at times with the two of them, but boy am I lucky to have a front row seat to the stories they are writing!

They are capable and smart and they are meant for great things"Life: it's about the gift, not the package it comes in."
Dennis P. Costea Jr
Dennis P. Costea Jr



23 comments:
I can’t read your blog anymore without a few tears. I am just so overwhelmed with happiness for Mia and your family. Bree is such a good sister and helper for Mia. I think the two separate classes was such a good idea. Some individual time for both of them to shine. You are doing such an amazing job as a mother! xo
aaagggh, tears. They look so beautiful!!!
Its so fun watching the two of them together...they'll always have a best friend. Bree looks so grown up in all of these pictures. I can't wait to see how far Mia will go this year. I know she'll surprise us all. Love that last quote!! XOXO
Oh, Kecia, how precious! Of course I'm crying. Go Mia and Bree--you ARE so much more than a label and you're showing everybody that! I can't wait until we are posting "firsts" with Albina. I wish I could get on that plane today.
Your school sounds awesome :)...and the girls are adorable! I love all the pictures of them together...makes me so happy. p.s. Where did you get those backpacks? I am obsessed with them, they are so cute!
Feels like I was just there with Bree! Hard to believe you have two little girls there now! The backpacks are killing me, so cute!! Did you make the cute plaid dresses?
Thank you so much for keeping us up on your Angel Girls! It looks like Mia ia fitting in well and adjusting to her change...thanks to wonderful people in her life. And I LOVE their backpacks!
Look forward to hearing more, hugs Detra
Bree and Mia are going to do great things in school. They are both just so beautiful and I love all the pictures of the two of them together....their matching outfits and adorable backpacks...you'll have to let me know where you bought those :) Sure wish we lived closer to you all so Bree, Mia and Ally could have a play date :)
I found your blog through Patti's blog and I am in love with it and your amazing journey to find Mia!! I am mom to a special needs child as well. We were told he would not make it past the age of 3 and yet he has proved the doctors wrong! He is now 15 1/2 years old and I couldn't be more proud of him. Stop by and visit my blog sometime!
Beautiful post. So glad they are both off and flying at preschool. I totally agree with your last paragraph...fun, hard, frustrating, magical and wonderful all at the same time!
ahhh, so beautiful and happy to hear they are doing so well
love. they are both so, so cute!
I love this story!!! I still cry for joy when I stop and think about all the miracles that are part of their sweet story! Love you my Annie Bree and little Miss Mia! xoxoxo
We are all so lucky too, that you are willing to share their stories with us with such eloquence. Your family sure does have a place in my heart.
Your posts are so inspiring and purposeful! Your two little angels are just the sweetest thing on the planet....LOVE!!!!
Ditto to all above! My visiting teacher is a 36-year-old wonder with DS. She and her mother have also fallen in love with your family. She said "Having DS is not a problem; I don't mind it at all" She is a Special Olympic skater, a Primary worker, store employee, scrapbooker, cardmaker, YW camp craft leader, loving aunt, and a joy to all who know her.
What precious little girls! You are SO blessed!
I'm forever hoping for a post from you but when one pops up it's always worth the wait!! Loved this post and the beautiful pictures! ...Bethany
Beautiful...your girls, this post...just beautiful!
What a wonderful quote. These children ar destined for great things and to bee given that "front row seat" is a precious gift. Love the pictures and what a special bond they have for each other.
Hi
My name is Jenna and i came across your site. What a wonderful amazing, beautiful family you have. Your girls are precious and special. Bree and Mia, are inspirational hero's. All your girls are beautiful and have pretty smiles. I am so glad the girls are making progress, and are enjoying pre-school. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com
I can just the two of them together in heaven, as best friends,and now that relationship is together again. Both girls are lucky to have each other as not only sisters, but friencs.
Love it.
Post a Comment