Mia's Homecoming video

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Getting to know Miss Mia a little better: 31 for 21

"It is so magical to watch this child come alive right before my eyes...my cup runneth over"
It is so fun to watch Mia's personality emerging every day! She is doing so well and learning so much. It is quite miraculous to think how much she is learning, and has learned in the last few months. She now understands most everything we say to her and she is starting to say words and use new signs all the time. I often think how after a month of being in the Ukraine I was still overwhelmed and could not understand anything anyone said to me, and here this little 4 year old is thrown into a whole new culture and language and life, and she just learns and adjusts and surprises us all.

She is a spunky little thing and always exploring this new world around her

She LOVES her food! She is protective of eating time and territorial about her "space" when she is eating. If anyone is in the kitchen even thinking about preparing food she climbs up to the table and sits there patiently waiting for some food to be served. The only time she will sit and watch a show (besides signing time) for more than 5 minutes is if she has food in front of her.



She LOVES being outside. She will play outside by herself for hours. I mean can you imagine going from very few opportunities to be outdoors, and even those opportunities were not "free reign" to explore, and then suddenly you are allowed to play in a backyard and go freely from one thing to the next? She is going to be very sad when the weather is bad and she can't go outside anytime she wants.
She is VERY curious and explorative. She makes LOTS of messes around the house as she is exploring. One day I was getting after her and thought, this is not what 4 year olds do, this is what 18 month olds do...things like playing in the toilet and such. Then I realized, she has never had the chance to explore and make messes.
Her and Bree love to pair up and get into trouble together




She LOVES to clean, and the funniest part about watching her do it, is that she knows the proper way to clean. She will scoop crumbs off the table into her hand. She knows how to sweep under the table, and take the garbage bag out of the garbage can. I think she may have been the little maid at the orphanage! Sometimes she even puts white socks over her hands and uses them to dust....she definitely didn't learn the dusting trick from me!

For a few weeks, every time I got her up from her nap I would get so frustrated because I would go into her room and she would have taken all the bedding off both beds and put it in a pile in the middle of the floor. I was telling Kris about this and he said "don't you remember they always had piles of bedding in between the beds at the orphanage?" I guess they did....and she must have thought this is what she was supposed to do.
She is never in her own bed when we come in to tuck her in for the night. Most of the time she is on the floor or under the bed, but sometimes she has climbed into bed with Bree (which is adorable). She wanders in the night and will end up sleeping in very strange places, like under Kyra's bed in the other room, or part way on the chair in the hallway or next to the bedroom door. The funny thing is if she gets up in the night she will never come in our room, she always goes into her big sisters room. She is also very quiet and we never know she is up...which is a little scary.

The other night I went in to kiss her goodnight as I went to bed. She had been asleep for a few hours at this point and as I kissed her cheek and said I love you, without opening her eyes, she smiled this big, sweet smile that said "I am finally right where I belong and it sure feels good"

She loves to gather things from around the house and take them to a "fort" of some kind and play with them. She also loves to hide things. There are still items that she hid months ago that have never turned up. She has some good hiding places...I am afraid one of them might be the garbage!
She loves dressing up, both in dress ups as well as her own clothes. She frequently empties her or Bree's (or both) dressers and then puts layers and layers of clothes on herself. She loves wearing headbands or clothes on her head too.
It never gets old watching Mia thouroughly enjoy the simple things in life that she has never experienced before. Still, after 4 months of having her home, we are still amazed at how little of the world she has experienced. And we often forget that she hasn't been here with us forever, and that she hasn't done all the "normal" 4 year old things.
One night at the end of the summer, I sat in the back yard watching her play with the hose. She was so enthralled with such a simple pleasure that most kids have been able to do all their life.
She played for close to two hours without a care in the world, besides where the water was coming from and where she was going to put it next.
Watching the freedom, the joy, and the contentment in her face made me take a deep breath and remind myself....this is what life should be about....enjoying each moment. Taking the time to breathe.
Don't get me wrong, all my children help teach me this, but there is something so powerful about seeing the contrast between what this little 4 year old was living and could still be living, and what she gets to live now. And this little munchkin is literally soakin it all up!
We can always find joy around us, we just need to stop and take the time to see it

Whether it is water trickling magically out of a long green thing, or hearing a child laugh, or taking a minute to just breathe in the fresh air, it is all breathtaking and should be enjoyed even amongst our busy, crazy lives.
Every day we get to see the world through a whole new light with Mia, and it never gets old. The wonder, the sparkle, the amazement that she looks at everything with is astounding. It is miraculous to literally watch another human being come to life in front of your eyes. And with it being down syndrome awareness month it makes it even more pertinent to think that so many other children just like Mia are still waiting for their chance to really live. They have the right to enjoy life and the potential to contribute to the world, and to others, regardless of their extra chromosome.



19 comments:

Amy said...

LOVE this update- thanks SO much for sharing Mia with us! :) Can't get enough of her and that precious smile. I look forward to experiences similar to these when we get our Pauline home. <3

Mary said...

wow thanks so much for sharing. She is precious and RIGHT WHERE SHE IS MEANT TO BE!!!!

Jonana said...

I LOVE this! Go, Mia! Oh, I can't wait for my own little 4 year old to be here figuring out so many new things with her new brother and sister.

Kristin said...

Love this. Completely amazing. So wonderful.

Jaclyn M said...

I absolutely love this post! She is absolutely beautiful!!! I LOVE getting to know her!

Jaclyn
http://adoptutah.blogspot.com/

Stephanie said...

Made it about half way through before the tears started to fall.
She is just amazing and so so lovely!

Leah said...

Loved your thoughts in this post, yes life should be enjoyed.

nicole said...

I love that she is treasured ~ thank you! What a great life you are giving her.

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post. I was laughing and nodding in agreement at about 3/4's of it. Funny how we see some of those same things in Dariya, we call her Cinderella b/c she is always tidying up and YES the garbage can is her favorite hiding spot! OOPS!

Emily M. said...

she is such a beauty, and you are such a good mommy! you are both very lucky! i loved this post!

-emily, your temple friend ;)

Unknown said...

Love, love, love reading about your sweet girl!

Natalie Nelson said...

Love this post. Her hair is growing so long. She is so beautiful. I love the part where you daid her and Bree get into trouble together. It reminds me of my two boys and the mischief they can get into. Also loved the pic. where they are on the shelves. So cute.

Unknown said...

just love hearing all about her and you guys xxxx

Kelli said...

wow, this was an AMAZING post. I have tears in my eyes reading through this...Mia is so blessed to be with her forever family now!

M Sandone said...

Wonderful! I went to my first Buddy Walk this past weekend, and was sad not to see a Reece's Rainbow display there. Maybe I can help make sure that happens next year. Everyone should see stories like Mia's!

She’s Our Butterfly said...

I just love this post. I especially love the picture where Mia had craweld into Bree's bed and they are both fast asleep....if that isn't the sweetest thing ever :) Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful pictures and all the fun adventures Mia is now being able to experience with her beautiful family :)

rachiej84 said...

I have been following your sweet blog for a while and I notice that your Bree looks full of energy, which I think is an exception in kiddos with Down Syndrome!
My daughter is almost 6 (she also has DS) and our biggest struggle is Primary because of her energy. Does Bree have struggles sitting through Sharing Time and Singing Time and if she does what things have helped you?

Leslie said...

This was amazing to read!

susan said...

Absolutely love catching up on all your posts. I love that you are sitting back and trying to see the world through your kids eyes as they discover instead of getting worked up about the messes or the extra work their exploring is causing you. That's my inspiration for this next week to see my kids world as you are.

One thing that I thought of in your post is maybe you might want to talk to Mia's doctor about a sleep study. We are going to do one soon for Charity just to make sure her restless sleeping isn't due to sleep apnea and poor oxygen levels at night. Just something to think about and casually ask your doctor.

I am very happy the twins are doing well and hope your family is healthy!!