Mia's Homecoming video

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Salsa R Us

In our family, when fall comes around it means lots of tomatoes and salsa! We are lucky enough to have wonderful grandparents in Idaho who grow this HUGE garden each year and then all the family comes and picks what they want. We come home each year with more tomatoes than we know what to do with, so because last year the canning process took like two weeks we decided to try a new method to make things a little more efficient. My wonderful husband stayed home to help us and we spent literally all day (13 hours) canning salsa. Kris was so wonderful to help us and we wouldn't have been able to do it all without him! He runs a very tight ship! He also hung some shelves up in the girls room that he had made too-what a productive day he had! Thanks for all your help honey!!

we set up camp at my house this year and had two big pots cooking outside on the camp stove while two batches were processing inside so there was no down time! It worked out really well-until the storm it later and we had to move to the garage.
Lida, mom and me



At the end of the day we had canned 122 quarts of salsa! That is the same amount we had done in two weeks last year so we were very proud of ourselves! We still have a couple more batches to do tomorrow but the bulk of it is done! Now we get to enjoy the yummy salsa!!While we were doing salsa we all went to meet Kyra at the bus stop because Bret and Jess were out of school and cousin Tate was there too. She was so excited to have such a big fan club as she got off the bus!

Adrie gives Kyra a huge hug every time she gets off the bus! It is super cute!

12 comments:

Kris said...

Nice posting. I created my own blog, mainly so I could comment on other peoples. kriscox.blogspot.com

lexi said...

So fun!! I wish I could come to the Cox/Clapier salsa store for some yummy salsa--it's always the very best! Miss you guys!!!!

Cam and Chaly said...

Looks like canning was a success! Sorry we couldn't be there!

Julie said...

Way cute pictures of your salsa day. Kris is such a great guy to help. I think he looks great in an apron. I'm pretty sure Tucker has never worn an apron. I love that picture of Adrie hugging Kyra. She is so sweet!

Kris said...

Wearing an apron is part of my manhood, at least that is what my wife told me. You better tell Tucker to get on the ball.

Tanna said...

What a party. Our family loves salsa too, but we have never taken it all on in one day. Way to go!! I'm sorry we didn't stop by the other night. I'm still going to come!!

Mary said...

I'm expecting a dinner invite for some yummy mexican food soon!

Kris, Kecia tells as many lies as necessary to get you to do more cooking.

Woodbury Fam said...

Scot wears aprons... it is very mannly. I can't believe how much you got done! Awesome!

Natalie said...

Wow! I love salsa, but I don't think I could can for 13 hours. You guys are die-hards. What a fun family tradition!

The Leishman Family said...

Looks like a fun mess. You'll have to share some next time you're down, Next year can I put my order in?

Kelie said...

This time of year is my favorite! I LOVE fresh tomatoes! What a fun but hard day of work, now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor until next year! Yum!

Chereebee said...

How fun!!! I LOVE salsa - especially homemade - YUMMY!!!!