Sometimes when I think back to how I felt when we were told Bree had down syndrome I feel guilty because I was sad and now my opinion is so very different. Of course we were sad because we were told that Bree was going to be "different" and we had no idea what having down syndrome would mean for her and her life. Now we feel very very fortunate to have her in our lives! I remember my neighbor came to visit when Bree was born. Her youngest son has down syndrome (who is now 17) and she told me that when her oldest son found out about Bree, he said to her "do you want to tell their family how lucky they are or should I?" Knowing what a positive experience this sibling felt about how down syndrome affected his family I felt so much hope. This same mother also told me to remember that Bree was just a baby and that we should enjoy her as a baby and not worry about the "what ifs" of the future because she was going to do everything my other children would do, she would just do it on her own time and maybe in her own way and you just have to throw the "typical chart" out the window. I will always be grateful to this friend for her encouraging words as we faced an unknown world.
This is Bree saying prayers! She fold her arms if she hears the word prayer and she folds them all on her own in the mornings as we are all getting ready to leave and before bed. It is SO cute! I LOVE it!!
9 comments:
Love those pictures of Bree. She's such a happy girl. We feel pretty lucky to be part of her life, too!
That is so cute! I love when they learn that because it makes you realize how much they understand. And especially for Bree that is amazing to see how much she understands, even though she can't communicate it all the time.
Love her! There was a really good article in a parenting magazine this month that said the same thing!
I'm excited for a daily post from you - that way my life might be a little more interesting! Cute Bree post!
Gosh, she looks so old! Will you just stick her on a plane? I will meet her at the gate, and its really only a 45 minute flight so I am sure she would be fine.
We love you Breezy!
Bree is so cute. I really like her hair in this picture.
Thank you for sharing your story. Because of your family I am starting to have a greater understanding of Down Syndrom. So much so, that I was outraged when I was at the check out counter and saw one of the tabloids report on Sara Palin. The caption read son afflicted with Down Syndrom. I didn't like how it said afflicted as if it was something dirty and nasty. She is a charmer!!!
Seeing her fold her arms like that must make your whole day. She is precious.
She is so very sweet, I love the picture of her folding her arms!
Post a Comment